Skip to main content

spontaneity and adventure at its best

....at least in my life. as of 11:15 this morning, I'm going to back to Jamaica. It's been four years since my last trip. I love that island. And I'm leaving this Friday (I'm still in limbo -- it depends on whether I get a sub or not). Here's how it happened...
On Wednesday, I went to jgroup as normal. A lot of our girls are going to Jamaica, and with them leaving in a little over a week, that's all anyone wanted to talk about, which is completely normal. In talking to Alice (another of the leaders -- we meet at her house), I made the comment that I would so be there if I could. Little did I know that that comment would make its way to other ears.
The next day, Alice told Nikki, a good friend who is also going to Jamaica (and had mentioned me going a few times before). Nikki apparently then called James, the high school pastor. On Saturday, after I spent some time shopping, I got a call from Nikki, wondering if I had heard from James at all. I hadn't, so Nikki called Dave, who told me to call him in a little while. I did and we talked, and I told him I would let him know either way this morning.
In trying to make the decision, I was just hesitating for some reason. There was nothing that was really standing in the way -- I had the money, it was spring break, I have a current passport, most of the girls from my jgroup were going, and I really didn't think it would be a problem for me to take off work on Friday. But something was keeping me back.
I'm a worrier by nature -- I worry about everything. I tend to fear the future (sometimes the present, too) and doubt so much about my life. I know this isn't the way God intends us to live, and I'm learning to walk forward in spite of it, but many times, it is often a daily struggle. Anyway, I was talking to Nikki last night and mentioned this. She was really encouraging and knowing she was praying for me made a big difference. I started praying in thankfulness.
When I went to bed, I began Beth Moore's new study, Stepping Up. I've heard great things about it, and I'm really excited about it. I didn't have the cds yet, but decided to start anyway. The first verse I was supposed to look up?
1 Peter 5:6-7 -- "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you."

And so here I am. Going back to Jamaica. And I'm super excited.

God is good.

Comments

gini said…
You're in Jamaica right now... I should be writing a literature review, but I got lost in blog reading! :) I am praying for you. I love seeing God work in and through you, Miss Spontaneity! I can't wait to hear about your trip!

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t