Skip to main content

Full

So, for the past few years, I've joined in with picking a word as a theme for the coming year. I haven't *strictly* followed the rules: two years ago it was the chorus of a song, last year I actually had 3 words. 
I tend to feel these themes or words stirring sometime in the fall, as if my spirit can sense where God is leading, or God is preparing me for what's coming. I think He just knows I need lots of preparation and process time before He throws me into something, and He's gracious enough to give it. 

This year was *mostly* no exception.

Later in 2017, I felt a stirring in my heart for joy & delight. I needed more of it in my life and I needed to understand God's heart for these things. I also needed a better understanding of how He views us -- me -- through a lens of joy and delight. That's a longer story & maybe I'll tell it one day, but it's not for now. 

These words resonated deeply in my soul, and I was convinced they were where God was leading for the coming year. In fact, during that early December snowstorm we had, I went out and played with the kids. We laughed so hard & just had fun, and I remember thinking how long it had been since I'd laughed or just had fun like that. My life is far too serious sometimes (personalities and what not), and I felt like that was confirmation of my word for the coming year. 

But God. 

At the beginning of this year, I was praying over the word, still convinced. As I was praying, I wrote that the word "joy" I was praying for was tied in with "fun, happy, wonder. Full. Cherish." And just like that, I knew. 


2018's word would be full. 

I told God this was both a weighty and hopeful word. It's terrifying, because full seems a lot more work than joy would be. But it's also exciting, because that's what Jesus promises in John 10:10 -- "I have come that they may have life and have it to the full." 

That word full is perissos in Greek. Which means any of a range of things, including superabundance, superior, preeminence, beyond measure, exceedingly, uncommon, surpassing, extraordinary, more remarkable, more excellent.

This is also part of the word that makes up the "immeasurably more" in Ephesians 3:20 -- 
"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us..."

That's incredible.

And that's my word for this year?! 

Since none of us can see the future, I obviously don't know what God is planning for this year. I can't see where this journey leads or what 2018 holds. But if God wants it to be full, then AMEN. 

I hope 2018 is full of family. Friends. Neighbors. People.
Laughter. Fun. Joy. 
Purpose. Wonder. Good.
Travel. Adventure. Discovery.
Learning. Embracing. Seeing. 
Health. Provision. 
Confidence. Hope. Love. Freedom.
Community. 
Smiles. Hugs. 
Books. Words. Listening. 
Love. Heart. Faith. 
Life.
Christ. 

Full of all these things, for all of us. 

One thing God began working in me last year is that His full and my full may not look the same. I've lived that out for much of my adult life (and wrote a post about it here), and it's been crazy and amazing. But it's not always easy; sometimes it is the hardest thing to live out. We all have our own ideas about what a full life looks like, what it means for us. What dreams should be fulfilled. 

But God promises that He came to give us a full life, that He is able to do immeasurably more than anything we could ever ask or imagine. It may not look exactly like we thought or wanted, but it will be full. The best thing it will be full of is Him. 

Follow Him, and life will be full.
Abide in Him, and life will bear fruit.
Trust Him, and life will be abundant. 

It's hard, but it's so worth it. I'm walking this out beside you friend, and praying this for all of us. 

Immeasurably More.
With Him. 




Also, friends, I've just noticed a theme in some of the biggest lessons learned over the past few years.
His straight, not mine.
On His feet, not mine.
His full, not mine. 

Him. 
His.
All Jesus.
He's the only One, the only Way.
I sometimes have a hard time remembering that, but I'm thankful it's true. And I'm thankful I'm His. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t