Skip to main content

1st update from my new home....

that's right.
i now live in new orleans.
to go to seminary.
to study for full-time ministry.

i can't believe i just wrote those sentences.
when we first got here, all i could think was
surreal.

surely i'm not actually doing this.
surely this is wrong.
i'm living here?
to learn and do ministry?
God, are you sure?

this was not in the plan. my plan never including having 6 different jobs since graduating from college or moving to baltimore, back to atlanta, and then to new orleans. my plan never included thinking about leaving teaching for a completely different career. my plan also never included being single at 26 (or when i graduated college for that matter).
other people said to me, "you'll end up doing _________" (like my sister, who randomly told me once while we were in high school i was going to be a missionary to peru), but i never listened. i guess part of it was fear -- i don't know that life! that's scary, to be far from home and engaged in missions full time. i can't do that! but another part of it was that i just had no desire to do anything else.

and yet, here i am.
in some ways, i feel like i'm home. not in the, 'this is where i'm living for the rest of my life sense', but in the, 'this is what i'm supposed to be doing' sense.
it is inescapable.
yes, i have a lot of doubts. and some of them are rather large.
but when i'm able to see past the doubts, i get the sense that i'm exactly where i'm meant to be.
for what, i am not completely sure.
i have some ideas.
and some dreams (visions? missions? calls? i don't know what to call them) floating around in my thoughts that i'm trying to get some clarity and direction on.

in other ways, my head is screaming, 'turn back! this is hard! you can't do this! you have no way to live and you don't know anyone...plus, do you really think you can do ministry like this?'
simply turning a corner can bring up new doubts and insecurities (or resurrect the old ones rather forcefully).
an example:
today i was turning in a couple job applications to work on campus. one of the questions was my relation to the seminary, to which i replied, 'student'. however, at both places, the people taking the application looked at it and said, "so your husband is a student?" no. i am. i am the one studying here. surprisingly, these incidences did not bring up insecurities about being single, but rather those about being able to do ministry, and the type of ministry i want to do.
another example:
making friends. loads of insecurities assault you when you're new somewhere and trying to make friends and build relationships.

but when i look at who i am and my passions, where i've been and the journey God has taken me on, it is hard not to see a lot of it leading up to this point.
it's hard not to see God directing certain events and lessons to get me where i am now.
it's hard not to see it all adding up to something that God has been planning for me and my meager life since i was born. 
and so, when i feel that all this is surreal, completely unbelievable, i must admit that it isn't really. 

and it makes me think of these verses:
proverbs 16:9 the mind of a man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.
proverbs 19:21 many plans are in a man's heart, but the counsel of the Lord will stand.
jeremiah 1:5 before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you...
jeremiah 29:11 for i know the plans i have for you, declares the Lord...

growing up, i had a plan. my life is nothing like i imagined it ever being.
and praise God for that, that He knew what plans He had. that He has directed my steps even when i had no stinking idea it was happening.
praise God that He loves me and knows me enough to give me what i truly need in my soul, not simply what i desire in a moment's whim.
oh, praise God.

Comments

Jill said…
This post is yet another reminder that we are most definitely kindred spirits...Brooke with an "e". Here's to new seasons of discovery for us both! Love you!

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren