Skip to main content

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that?
when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives?

over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties.
about everything.
who i am.
what i'm meant to do.
where i'm supposed to be.
who God is, and says He is.
who God says i am.
the path God says for me to follow.

asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry.

but finally, there is a bit of an end.
because i've made a decision.
one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe.
a decision to follow. to trust.
to be uncertain.

to leave baltimore.

looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense.
i have a family here.
abounding opportunities to love and serve.
a job (and right now, that's quite important) that i've dreamed about for most of my life.
a wonderful, amazing church.

but i can say this:
i believe that God is calling me to leave and follow Him, and i have peace about leaving.
peace that i can't explain.
peace that is there even when i'm doubting, questioning, not understanding, or crying about what i'm leaving behind.

there is most definitely uncertainty surrounding me.
doubts, fears, hurts, questions, confusions, and even darkness at times.
i don't know what the future holds.
i don't know where i'll be or what i'll be doing.
but as i look at the uncertainties, i also see opportunities, adventures, excitement, new friends, new places and people to love and serve.

through all of this, i believe that God is simply asking me to trust Him.
i've really been learning and realizing (these last couple of weeks, especially) that all i can ever really do is trust.
trust Him.
trust God, Who created the entire world, Who controls the oceans, the sun and the stars.
Who created me, Who knows better than anyone who i am and what i really do need, Who has a path and a purpose for my life.  
to have faith that when He says something, He means it. He is faithful.
to obey, even when i don't see what comes next.
because that's all i can really do. i cannot control anything. i cannot see the future. i don't even know what i want a lot of the time, much less what i really do need.

i don't have this down. i'm far from understanding what it really means to trust God and to follow Him. there is so much i still have to learn and to experience. but i'm trying. day by day, moment by moment God is asking me -- us -- to trust Him with everything. everything. i mess this up so often. but by the grace of God, i'm still learning and still trying.


so, i can give into my fears and my failures.
i can listen to my doubts.
i can let my plans lead.
or, i can let go and trust.
i can have faith.
i can obey.

so as my last few days in baltimore are upon me, i'm doing my best to be thankful for the time He has given me here, for the friends who have become a family, for the kids i have been able to love, and for the city that has taught me a lot and always provided entertainment. i'm doing my best to soak in baltimore. to spend some time with the people i love and will miss terribly.
i'm doing my best to trust and have faith through all the doubts and fears (which assail me all the time)
to love the God who leads me when all looks dark.
to be confident that my God will be there and knows exactly where we are headed, even when i am uncertain and don't know.

confidence in uncertainty.
trust in God.
faith in His promises and His word.
faith in Him, the Father who loves us more than we will ever know.
it's harder than we have ever imagined, isn't it? 



***edited to add: so, after i wrote this i became really concerned that it sounded really arrogant or show-offy and that is not what i intended at all. i tried really hard to simply share what i was feeling and what was happening in my life. i rewrote it several times, but ended up in the same place i was, sharing my heart and my plans. if it came off in some other way, i'm truly sorry***

Comments

Nikki Lanzo said…
I think it is beautifully written. The only thing more beautiful is the story God has already written for your life, as this chapter comes to an end... a new exiciting one begins. Love you sweet friend!
Unknown said…
Arrogant or show-offy are not even in the same universe as your heart, Brooke. I know how hard the decision to leave Baltimore probably was for you and the fact that you have chosen, once again, to follow God wherever he leads is inspiring. Thank you for sharing this.
Katie Simpson

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren