Skip to main content

we could call you waffle....

i finally filled by craving for waffles....i'm not exactly sure why i wanted waffles so badly, but i did, and praise God (seriously) that today was the day :)


here's a slightly amusing (maybe) story for your reading pleasure:
for those who know me, i can be a pretty jumpy person, and that may be an understatement (i spent much of the dark knight curled up in my chair...i know). however, of all the things that cause me to be on edge, being by myself during the day isn't one of them....
so, around noon i was laying on the couch watching a little gilmore, being lazy before i went out for the day, and all of a sudden i hear this noise. i can't even explain it to you, but i've never heard anything like it before that i can recall. so i look up and see these guys standing at the door. i have no idea who they are, but they're at my front door, making weird noises that make me think they're wanting something other than to drop off a package or tell us the flowers are pretty. i immediately start to panic, grab the phone and crouch behind the couch so they can't see me (because there's no way they saw me when i got up off the couch, of course). i call my dad and as the phone is dialing, i make a run for the back door, hoping they won't see me. so, i get in the backyard and actually walk through the yard towards the fence (all the while thinking, i hope i don't step on any bugs or dop poo) to see if i can see a car or something. of course, my dad is saying, i can't hear you and did you call 911....no, i don't know who they are so i didn't call 911. that logic makes sense, right?
i see a truck out front, but can't really see it well enough to make a judgment as to whether i know this truck or not, but i hear voices again, so i head back inside. at this point, i realize that they're not at the front door anymore, but they also aren't in their truck or in the front of the house. sometime during this event, and while talking to my dad, we come to the conclusion that these guys are the guys who are coming to look at the stucco which is falling off our house...
so, i go to the front door, where they're standing again, talking to them and to my dad at the same time, when the guy says, hey, we're here to check out the house. i just wanted to let you know we were here so you wouldn't be worried or scared.....

no sir, not scared at all, thanks for coming..... :)

in other news, i was on my way to small group tonight and i hit the curb....harder than i thought, apparently, because my tire was completely sliced open and immediately flat. luckily, i was near a side street so i could pull over and not be in traffic. also luckily, i just wanted to laugh at it. i called my parents to come help me out, which they did, but i had to sit on the street for a good 45 minutes until they could get there. i was sitting on my trunk the whole time and during this time, i did some thinking. we are a self-centered people. with the exception of one man (who, by the way, was on the sidewalk where i hit the curb, saw it happen, and also thought i was going to hit him), no one stopped or asked if everything was ok. i'm pretty sure it isn't normal for someone to be sitting on the trunk of their car on this street, so people had to be wondering what was going on, but no one made any attempt to see if i was alright. (to give these people the benefit of the doubt -- i didn't look upset and i was reading for part of this time, so maybe none of them thought anything of me sitting there)....however, it made me think that we're too often caught up in our own lives and hang-ups and such. it also made me wonder if i would've stopped to make sure everything was ok. i know i don't all the time.
to truly live in a way that shows we love others the way we're supposed to is quite different from the way the world works all the time. i wonder what people would do if we all started to live as if everyone mattered?

another revelation of the day:
while i was reading for small group (the pursuit of God, by a.w. tozer), i was reading about the blessedness of possessing nothing and answering the questions. one of the tasks was to read the story of the rich young ruler and think about what makes it go along with the chapter. why do we allow things to take such hold of our hearts? in thinking about this, i started wondering if maybe the reason we feel the need to possess so much, the reason we hold onto all of the things we're given (be they people or actual things) is because we feel that they connect us to the world. people identify and relate to each other based on things. we place people in groups and label them based on the things in their lives. because of this, we feel we have to have things to identify with those around us. our value is not placed in who we are or in who God made us to be, but rather in things because that is how the world defines us. if we don't have things, how will the world understand us?
i wondered if this is part of the struggle we have with things (whether it is subconscious or not). God, though, did not call us to connect with people based on things. we are to be relational with people, to love people just for being people, not because they look a certain way or listen to the right music. we are to be in the world, loving people, not of the world and judging them....
maybe it's just me that has this problem.....


hugs to all....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren