Skip to main content

i was watching...

So, tonight I am going to watch Martian Child, with John Cusack, for the second time this week. I saw it first at JGroup on Wednesday. I was glad to finally be able to see it because I had wanted to see it since it came out. Maybe watching it twice in one week makes me a little strange, but it's a movie that deserves more than one viewing (at least that's my opinion). It's a movie about reaching out to someone who needs a friend. If you haven't seen it, John Cusack plays a science fiction writer who adopts a young boy who is a bit unconventional. Touching, uplifting and inspiring. And it makes you think. What more could you ask for in a movie?
Anyway, it makes me want to get out in the world and make a difference in the lives of those who feel as though they "are the oddball who never fits into the group" or the creature from the story. Yes, I am a teacher with the opportunity to impact lives everyday, but movies like this one make me want to do more. I can't really explain it, except to say that lately I have been really wondering how I can make a difference in the world -- even if it is only a small difference. One of my favorite quotes from the movie: "How do you argue with the logic of loving (a kid) who is already here?" Smiles.
Everyone needs a connection with someone else. Everyone needs to feel loved and cared for, and to feel that someone out there knows them and wants to be their friend. So many of us go through our everyday lives lonely, wondering when life will change, when someone will notice. Deep down, I think most of us feel at some time that we are the "creature", that we'll never fit in with those around us. I think that's what is so beautiful about this movie. Two people, strangers in every way. One a science fiction writer, one a boy who thinks he is from Mars. Neither knew what would happen when they met. Neither expected to become connected to the other, but both were longing for something more, for someone to share life with. All it took for both lives to change was for one person to reach out to the other. Who knows what is waiting around the corner for us, if we'll just take a step? We have no clue what God has in store for us, where His path will lead us -- we just have to be willing to step out, to reach out in faith. This is a challenge of mine -- reaching out to those around me, stepping out in faith. But if I don't, who knows what I might miss? A best friend? An adventure? A lifetime? Or maybe it'll just be a smile :) Either way, I'm anticipating the journey. All it takes is one step forward.



A favorite quote:
What saves a man is to take a step. And then another step.
Anthoine De Saint-Exupery

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

she's my wife!!

today at the j: kids, playing in housekeeping... r: go call my girlfriend. w: who's your girlfriend? c? r: no! (kids keep saying names) w: is it k? r: (looking very insulted) no! she's my wife! hahaha :) and... (trying to talk to one of our kids about being still in circle and helping our friends listen) me: e, i know that you can listen and learn at circle when you're moving and rolling and talking. you understand things and you remember what we're learning even when you're all over the place. e: yep. because God gave me a brain.

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,