Skip to main content

Time flies.....

Goodness....how true that is.....
We have about two weeks left here and I can't believe it! It has gone by so quickly.....in fact, last week we had a moment when we realized that we were halfway through our trip. So little time left to spend with our new friends....
We've been at our friends' house a lot lately. The Hines family is in the process of moving to Tennesee because their visa has expired. They leave this Thursday -- and there is so much to do! They have 4 adorbale children we have been spending time with so that Bonnie and Michael are able to get more packing done. Can you imagine moving to another country after 5 years with 4 kids under the age of 5? It is a little overwhelming, but every day, more progress is being made. We're sad that they're leaving Israel, but Lindsey and I are also glad that they'll only be a few hours away from us!
We went to Bethlehem again the other night to have dinner with our friends. They cooked us a meal that is a traditional meal for them....they cooked chicken for us in a pit! They start the fire several hours before they put the chicken in and when it is ready, the chicken goes in and they seal the smoker with mud :) It was really good, and I must say I haven't been so glad to get chicken in a while! The family is so nice :)
Saturday we went to the beach in Tel Aviv with 2 of our friends from the hostel. It was so crowded -- almost no space to walk around. It was also amusing to see all the hookahs on the beach! The big thing on the beach though was ping pong. We went for a walk and there was one stretch where there must have been 50 people playing. It was a challenge to get through without getting hit! We also experienced a shark in the water :) When the guy on the loudspeaker started talking (which they do all day long), we had no clue what he was saying because we don't speak Hebrew! But we assumed either someone was in trouble in the water or there was a shark -- tons of people started heading to the water's edge to see what was going on. We later found out that it was in fact a shark. However, we did get to go swimming in the Mediterranean, so I guess that makes up for it!
Yesterday, Lindsey and I went to the Shuc for a little bit to do some shopping and take some pictures. We were walking around when this guy came up to us because he heard us speaking English. He is here from Canada and is in the city by himself for the next couple of days. We talked for a bit and then went our separate ways.....but on the way to the hostel and then to lunch, he found us in the streets and came to lunch with us! He was here on a birthright tour we discovered and he is a really nice guy. We started talking about our beliefs and the differences and things certain groups were doing that were or were not right.....when this lady interrupted us to tell our new friend that he was being really arrogant and ignorant....i couldn't believe it! I feel that her heart was in the right place, because she was saying that there are many orthodox Jews who have become believers (he was very skeptical), but she was so rude and mean....i have never felt so angry towards someone before......and I felt that any conversation we could have had with him changed in that moment because of her attitude. I really feel that it was a God-appointed meeting with him, and I truly hope and pray that he meets other believers and friends to talk to.....particularly Jewish ones :) Anyway, if think about it, please pray for our new friend!
Last night after church we went to dinner at a sushi place! I had never had sushi before and I was actually quite nervous about trying it. Let's just say that it wasn't a pleasant experience for me :) But I was able to order something else and all was well......
The is week we are going to Eilat, which is a town on the Red Sea that Lindsey loves....we might go scuba diving! So many new things.....I'm excited about going, and I'll let you know how it turns out!
I can't believe we only have this week and next weeks left......next week, Dave is coming and we're going to tour around Israel for the week before we leave. It's amazing how much there is to see and do here, and when we try to incorporate all of that with our volunteering and spending time with our friends......there just isn't enough time! However, I'm sure I would feel that way even if we had several more weeks.
I love y'all!
Shalom....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t