Skip to main content

time flies....

I can't believe we've been here almost two weeks already....time sure does move quickly. Sorry I've been behind in updating y'all.

Since Bethlehem, we've done so much that I can hardly remember it all. Mostly, though, our time has been spent with people from the hostel....loving them and getting to know them. Shavout was this past week, so most everything was closed. Lindsey and I decided, kind of on a whim in the market, that we would cook dinner for our friends in the hostel. It was a great time to hang out with them.

Surprisingly, we've met a few people from Atlanta. Yesterday, someone from UGA actually checked into the hostel. It was cool to be able to talk to someone from home who knows the same people and places that I do. The people here, both the people who live here and those we've met in the hostel, are different in a way than the people back home. It's hard to explain, but it is definitely a wonderful thing :)

Yesterday we went to St. Anne's church in the Muslim quarter of the Old City. St. Anne's is where the Bethesda pools are -- the ones where the angel would stir the water and people would be healed. The cathedral there has amazing acoustics -- noise resonates off the walls and it sounds incredible. There was a group of nuns in the lower level and they were singing and praying -- we could hear them from above and it sounded beautiful!

This week, we started working at King of Kings for consistently. We help them with the reception and random office tasks, and folding bulletins! The prayer tower has amazing view of the entire city and there are lots of people who come to visit and pray every day, so we meet a lot of people.

Some of our hostel friends are beginning to leave -- it's sad to see them go! It's like a little family at the hostel :)

We went to the movies the other day to see Pirates 3 -- I liked the movie a lot! Movie experiences here are a little different than back home. They give you assigned seats -- and there's an intermission in the middle of the movie! Several of us went and I think I jumped so much (because I'm jumpy at the littlest thing) that I think I made the people next to me nervous :)

We've been helping some people move these last couple of days. They are a wonderful family -- 4 kids -- and they're moving to the states in a couple of weeks, so they have a lot to do. We've been able to hang out with the kids so they can get stuff done, as well as helping them clean and stuff.

We're having Shabbat dinner with the family tonight, so that should be fun. I've never been to a Shabbat dinner before :)

So sorry for the randomness -- and the slowness! I'll be better!

Much love :)

Comments

gini said…
I love reading what is going on! It truly helps me know how to pray! I love you and am so glad God is using you in such an incredible way!
Love you!!

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t