Skip to main content

On Lice and Love

I teach. And I have lots of neighborhood kids around pretty regularly. 
Which is fantastic, but does come with one teeny, tiny, little hazard:

Lice.

I despise lice. 
Immediate itching begins upon the mere mention of them. They're creepy and crawly and hard to get rid of. My basic feelings are: UGH.

Earlier this year, one of the lovelies I see on a regular basis was discovered with lice. The day after said child had been leaning all over me and playing with my hair. 
I mean, a lot of lice. I don't think I can explain to you the depths of the lice. 

As soon as I could, I was at the store with lice spray, shampoo, laundry detergent. Anything I could possibly need to rid myself of any chance of the lice, I had it. Because y'all? I have a lot of hair. And it was all up over that child as they leaned against me that day. 

I tied my hair up as high as possible and washed all-of-the-things and clothes in my entire apartment that just maybe could have been contaminated. Literally sitting in the middle of my living room floor, trying not to touch anything, waiting for the shampoo and burning hot water to do their thing. Combing strand by strand of my hair to catch anything possible. 

Which I did. One tiny little bug.* 
I about lost it. I kept combing out my hair, trying to convince myself that it hadn't been enough time for that little bug to do anything.
But I was also getting really frustrated with said child's parents, who knowingly (yes, knowingly, I had proof) sent their kid out into the world in that situation. 

Until that still, small Voice whispered.
Nudged its way into my soul. 

Will you risk lice to offer Love?

This question has sat on my soul since that day, and it's come up in so many ways. The crux of them all is: will you be inconvenienced for Me? 

I've realized while pondering this question that I often hesitate to answer that question with a resounding YES. My heart wants to answer it yes, but my flesh isn't so willing. 

As we continue into this year that is so still so new, yet already feels so battered, that question sits symbolic & defining for this year. 

Will you risk lice to offer Love?

Oh dear Jesus, I hope and pray my answer is yes, always yes. 



**The bug turned out to be simply the catalyst to this question. No other evidence of creepy-crawlies was found. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

she's my wife!!

today at the j: kids, playing in housekeeping... r: go call my girlfriend. w: who's your girlfriend? c? r: no! (kids keep saying names) w: is it k? r: (looking very insulted) no! she's my wife! hahaha :) and... (trying to talk to one of our kids about being still in circle and helping our friends listen) me: e, i know that you can listen and learn at circle when you're moving and rolling and talking. you understand things and you remember what we're learning even when you're all over the place. e: yep. because God gave me a brain.

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,