Skip to main content

On Lice and Love

I teach. And I have lots of neighborhood kids around pretty regularly. 
Which is fantastic, but does come with one teeny, tiny, little hazard:

Lice.

I despise lice. 
Immediate itching begins upon the mere mention of them. They're creepy and crawly and hard to get rid of. My basic feelings are: UGH.

Earlier this year, one of the lovelies I see on a regular basis was discovered with lice. The day after said child had been leaning all over me and playing with my hair. 
I mean, a lot of lice. I don't think I can explain to you the depths of the lice. 

As soon as I could, I was at the store with lice spray, shampoo, laundry detergent. Anything I could possibly need to rid myself of any chance of the lice, I had it. Because y'all? I have a lot of hair. And it was all up over that child as they leaned against me that day. 

I tied my hair up as high as possible and washed all-of-the-things and clothes in my entire apartment that just maybe could have been contaminated. Literally sitting in the middle of my living room floor, trying not to touch anything, waiting for the shampoo and burning hot water to do their thing. Combing strand by strand of my hair to catch anything possible. 

Which I did. One tiny little bug.* 
I about lost it. I kept combing out my hair, trying to convince myself that it hadn't been enough time for that little bug to do anything.
But I was also getting really frustrated with said child's parents, who knowingly (yes, knowingly, I had proof) sent their kid out into the world in that situation. 

Until that still, small Voice whispered.
Nudged its way into my soul. 

Will you risk lice to offer Love?

This question has sat on my soul since that day, and it's come up in so many ways. The crux of them all is: will you be inconvenienced for Me? 

I've realized while pondering this question that I often hesitate to answer that question with a resounding YES. My heart wants to answer it yes, but my flesh isn't so willing. 

As we continue into this year that is so still so new, yet already feels so battered, that question sits symbolic & defining for this year. 

Will you risk lice to offer Love?

Oh dear Jesus, I hope and pray my answer is yes, always yes. 



**The bug turned out to be simply the catalyst to this question. No other evidence of creepy-crawlies was found. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,...

Over the Cliff

In the middle of Prince Caspian, there's a moment. Lucy has seen Aslan, but no one else has, and Aslan's told her she has to follow, whether anyone else does or not. Fortunately, they all agree to go with her. As the set off, she's the only one who can see Him, and she's leading everyone else.  "He led them to the right of the dancing trees -- whether they were still dancing nobody knew, for Lucy had her eyes on the Lion and the rest had their eyes on Lucy -- and nearer the edge of the gorge...for a long way Aslan went along the top of the precipices. Then they came to a place where some little trees grew right on the edge. He turned and disappeared among them. Lucy held her breath, for it looked as if he had plunged over the cliff..." Recently, I feel as if I've been following Jesus and He's disappeared, plunged right over the cliff. ********************* Last fall, I began thinking about words for 2017. I love the idea of claimin...

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my p...