Skip to main content

A Day Without Immigrants

Yesterday was A Day Without Immigrants.
A day when immigrants -- and possibly also people who supported them -- didn't work or shop. They marched and stood with each other for things our country once valued: freedom, opportunity, and open doors with a welcome spirit. 

We had a lot of students out of school, and I live in a majority Hispanic neighborhood. 

Today I received a note, which I'm sharing with full permission of the sender, who typed it so it would remain anonymous. 


My heart broke, and I started to tear up. 
Their children are our students -- our children, our future. 
They are our neighbors and our friends. 

It is irresponsible and terrifying that in America, our neighbors are treated this way. None of our children should be afraid to go to school, afraid to walk outside, afraid their family will be gone when they get home. None of our families should have to worry that one of their members won't come home at night because of where they're from, their culture, or their race. 
I have felt sorrow, and anger, and been incredulous over much of the past year as we've watched so many different people groups be bashed against rocks again and again, as we've seen our communities torn apart by people who won't listen to how our fellow Americans of different cultures and races are feeling -- about the realities in which they live. 
I've been saddened to see people burning bridges instead of building them, screaming instead of listening, looking but never seeing. 

I thought about this letter all day. This afternoon, I called the family. As I spoke with the mom, and told her I supported them and was with them, that if there was anything I could do to let me know, do you know what she said? 

"We feel so alone. Like no one is seeing or knowing what is going on, how we feel."

Can I just tell you that I lost it? 
Crying, on the phone.
Crying, typing this now. 

YOU ARE NOT ALONE. 

We are so much better, so much more when we are full of the beautiful diversity that makes us America. That makes us human. 

And for those of us who are followers of Christ, this is even more important. It is even more tragic that our neighbors are feeling this way, that they don't see us.
We should be on the front lines, the ones carrying love and justice. The ones coming alongside, holding hands and locking arms, saying, "You're not alone. We're in this with you. We're here." We are called to love, to see, to welcome, to go. 
And when our neighbors tell us they feel alone because of who they are and because of their race or culture as it is maligned or attacked or deported or shot or rounded up, it means we're failing. We're not extending Love and Welcome to them as it has been given to us. We're not fighting for Justice for all people. 
It means we have a long way to go. 

But it also means we have an opportunity. 
The opportunity to  stand up, to walk alongside our brothers & sisters, our neighbors, our future.
To lock our arms together, around each other, to be a true community. 
To listen and hear and change.
To love each other well, to see, to fight for justice.

We have the opportunity in front of us to be who we're called to be: to be the hands and feet of  Jesus. And how marvelous it is that we are given grace and more opportunities to get it right, to follow Him to the hard places, to really love well. 

So to my neighbors, my brothers & sisters, my friends from other countries, who are of other cultures and races, please hear me.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
We love you.
And we're in this with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren