Skip to main content

Gilmore. Finally.

Image result for gilmore girls


I have been a Gilmore fan since it first aired; much to the dismay of my parents I loved it from the first moment. I went through high school and college with Rory (we were the same age, after all). I own the DVD sets and have played them on repeat so many times I can't even count anymore. Most conversations prompt at least one Gilmore reference, thought, memory, etc. -- because there's always one for every moment, even if I do generally keep them to myself unless I know the other person is a Gilmore fan too. 
I've loved Stars Hollow, its citizens, and the Gilmores for years. So when they announced the revival was coming, I was super excited. Could. not. wait. Scheduled it on my calendar as soon as the release date was announced. Read & watched all the interviews leading up to the day. I was so curious to see where Amy Sherman-Palladino & Co. would take these people I loved....and of course, what the conclusion was meant to be. 
So not that anyone actually cares, but here are my thoughts on A Year in the Life.
And if you haven't seen it and somehow have avoided all spoilers thus far, here's your warning (seriously, lots.) 

Also, what are you waiting for???

*Miscellany*
Best Episodes
*Fall
*Winter 

Favorite Scenes
*the opening scene to Winter
*when Rory goes to Richard & Emily's house to begin writing and they show the old scenes with Richard in them....oh the tears, y'all
*the Life & Death Brigade scene in Fall
*when Emily storms out of the DAR 😂😂
*Lorelai's speech to Emily about Richard
*the wedding scene at the end of Fall

Favorite Randomness
*Kirk's pet pig
*The Secret Bar! 
*Town meetings & Taylor
*Emily volunteering at the whaling museum

Least Favorite Things
*the musical (way too much time spent on that one)....except the last song Sutton Foster sings that inspires Lorelai to go do Wild.
*not enough Sookie
*not enough of the other characters -- we barely saw many of the townspeople, and they are such the heart of Stars Hollow

*Characters*
Paris & Doyle
I wish they'd not been separated because their characters go so well together, but I loved that Paris is still Paris. And when she sees Tristian?? That bathroom scene was replayable, y'all. 

Lane & Zack
Not enough time with them to really form an opinion. But is Hep Alien actually still functioning? Like do they perform anywhere or have shots at anything, or are they still just practicing in the house?

Michel
I kind of loved him. He wanted to stay with Lorelai so much, and I'm hopeful they're going to find a way to make. that. happen. 

Emily
Her storyline, y'all. A-maz-ing. I hated that Richard was gone, because he was such an important character in the initial show, but I thought ASP did a fantastic job with Emily's story. 
Emily was still Emily, but she just became so much more. It's hard to explain, but Emily was amazing. 
I loved that Emily finally kept a maid! Not only did she keep this strange maid whom she couldn't understand, but she basically took in her entire family. It's so out of character for who we  came to know Emily as in the initial run of the show, but I feel like it showed more of who she truly is -- who she could have been had she not had so many struggles with Lorelai. 
Also, when she tells off the DAR ladies, curses at them, and storms out....laugh out loud. 

Lorelai (& Luke)
Lorelai was exactly where I expected her to be, except maybe the married part. Still at the inn, still doing her thing. I loved the Wild storyline, and it gave Lauren Graham a lot to work with. The wedding scene was beautiful and just as I imagined their wedding might have been.
I think it was sad that they abandoned the idea of children, through a surrogate or otherwise, and I hope that if they do more episodes, it's something that's explored more because it would be fun to see Lorelai & Luke raising a kid together

Rory
Oh the thoughts. But mostly just about her job and her men. 
1. It makes sense that Rory is struggling in her career. Lots of people her age are right now, and journalism is a tough job. But...what it Rory is an amazing writer, just not a  super journalist? Maybe her best fit, dream job is writing books. Maybe Mitchum Huntzberger was right about Rory...as a journalist. Plus, Rory seemed to  want a lot of opportunity, but when it was presented to her, she seemed to rely more on her clothes and reputation than on her skills and on preparing for interviews and things. (Except that Sandee lady was kind of mean, making her think she had the job before she came in and then acting completely different in person. But Rory still should have prepared better). She was floundering, and I think that's ok. Lots of us do, are, or have. But she seemed to be getting it together at the end, with the book. Which, by the way, I kind of wish I could read?? 

2. Her Exes.
I've always been -- and remain --#teamlogan. For many, many reasons. I'm kind of also #teamadultjess but now I'm not so sure. 
Rory had a sweet conversation with Dean. And I agree that Dean was a great first boyfriend, and he taught her what it was like to be safe in a relationship, what to expect, and how she should be treated. And there it ended. Once they broke up the first time, they should have stayed that way, but I felt it was handled well.

The Logan story is complicated. All we really saw of him here was that he's a rich, white man who plays around. But the Logan of the original series was also loyal. He was confident, intelligent, and playful. He fit Rory in a special way. And in season 7, he grew up. He tried to make it without his family, to be independent. He developed strength. And he loved Rory deeply. I know season 7 was not ASP&Co, but I think they did fans --and Logan & Rory -- a disservice by taking Logan back to who he was in the beginning. 
That being said, I did not love that R&L were having an affair. I think Logan still loves Rory, and Rory loves Logan, and I don't understand why they didn't just get together -- they're both adults for crying out loud. 
When he showed up at the end, I really thought that's where they were headed, but sadly, no. 

Jess. I really like adult Jess. He's so much better than teenage Jess, who was kind of a jerk. And I think he still kind of loves Rory. I could see them together, because they also go well together. BUT. Now they are COUSINS. No, not by blood, but they are now still COUSINS. That is weird. Yes, I think Jess would take care of Rory and child -- and do a great job. But now it's a little off. And I like Jess as someone Rory can depend on -- a stable family member and best friend who points her in directions and offers wisdom and grounding. 


*The Final Four Words*

"Mom?" "Yeah?" "I'm pregnant."

Though this is not what I really expected, I think it is wonderful storytelling. The whole revival was about things coming full circle, and that's exactly what that was. Emily, Lorelai, and Rory all came full circle in this revival. Well done, ASP. 

Plus, the stories now open to development are endless. But here's what I think should happen, IF they were to do more episodes. 

It's pretty much guaranteed that Logan is the father. The timing is simply too perfect. The Wookie was too long ago, Paul was never around, and Jess was only there as a friend when he appeared. I know that ASP intended Logan to be Rory's Christopher, and that makes sense. BUT it would be a so much more interesting story if, even though Rory seems to be repeating her mom's life, this was a little different. 
First, I don't think Rory is convinced that she should raise her baby alone like Lorelai did with her. Christopher's thoughts on the matter don't seem to leave her sure of that decision -- if anything, she seems more hesitant to go that route. 
Second, Rory is a lot more family oriented than Lorelai ever was. She always wanted those family connections with her grandparents...and with her father. So often throughout the series, Rory mentions how she wished he had been around more. I don't think Rory really liked that they didn't have a great relationship. It wouldn't be true to Rory's character for her to leave Logan out like that.
Third, her own now-stepfather has a daughter he didn't know about until she was a teenager. Would it make sense for Rory to make a decision to leave Logan out of it right in front of Luke when Luke hated that he missed April's life? 
Fourth, Logan loves Rory so much that I think if Rory told him about the baby, he would be there for her. Father, Husband, the whole deal. If they stayed true to Logan's character and his love for her, I think he would leave Odette, no matter what his family said -- especially because I think Mitchum would probably be ok with it in the end -- and be there for Rory.

Those stories would be so interesting to see play out. Rich, full of character development, full of potential strife -- which is always the way in Gilmore land. Plus, that way, it wouldn't be Rory simply living her mom's life with the same old stories, but it would be her living her own life, even though it initially looks the same as her mother's. 



All in all? Great job, Gilmore team! Thanks for bringing back to life characters that we love and have missed for so many years. Y'all are amazing!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren