Skip to main content

and 3 months later...

I'm not sure I'm very good at this thing (at least when I don't have something going on).

There are many posts I've started and then stopped. And many posts I've thought about writing. Or posting pictures. They've obviously never made it to the publishing phase.

Here are some random thoughts, until such a time when I can actually post something of substance.

1. College Football season is here! And September starts tomorrow. School is in. There's a distinctly different feel and smell in the air. It must mean only one thing: It. Is. FALL. Finally. I gave up on summer about a month ago. Which is a dangerous thing to do here in New Orleans, where we only really have two seasons: summer and about two days of winter (at least, that's all we got last year. It was quite depressing).

2. I'm taking Hebrew this semester. It's been interesting to actually learn how to read Hebrew, in addition to knowing some random words from when I taught at the Jewish Community Center. Thursday in class we actually started doing new vocab words, some of which I already knew how to say! That was kind of fun.

3. In about 2.5 months, I get to go back to Israel (hopefully, assuming nothing escalates into Israel. I feel almost like any time you approach a trip to the Middle East, you have to do so knowing that the trip plans could change, because there's really no way to know what's ever going to happen over there). This trip is a complete blessing. It's been 6 years since I went to Israel after college, and I'm excited to be going back. I miss so much of it.

4. Often, I keep things to myself. There are many reasons for this, but I've realized that some of the things I keep to myself are things I should share with the world. Things like how God provides for me. So here are a few ways I've seen God provide for me lately:
*The other day I went to the grocery store. It was not a fun experience in several ways, and as I was driving out of the parking lot, I prayed and told God that I had no idea how I was going make it for the next few weeks (or the semester) because money is just tight (as it is for so many of us in seminary, and for so many people in general). As I was driving into seminary, I got a call from someone who needed help with their dog in the morning (someone I've dog-sat for a few times now). It wasn't going to be something that paid a lot of money, but it was something. And it was God reminding me that He is in control and taking care of things.
*Speaking of house/dog-sitting, I've had the opportunity to help out three different families in this way since the end of June. It has been a blessing, because I've gotten to spend time in houses, and not just in the dorm. Also, I've not had to pay for laundry for the last two months. This is huge!
*I've been wanting to go back to Israel for awhile, and God provided a way. Actually, He provided the entire stinking trip. Along a similar line, I love to travel, and God has given me the chance to do so more frequently lately, overseas and in the country.
*Next week is an event in NOLA called the Christian Community Development Association Conference. NOBTS is participating in their exhibit hall and as an ambassador, I've been given the opportunity to go. The CCDA was founded by John Perkins, and I love what they do. But it would have been really expensive to go as a participant, so getting to go for free is amazing. However, the Beth Moore simulcast is also going on this Saturday, and I really wanted to do that too. It was going to have to be a choice between the two. But instead, He provided a way for me to be able to do both and still get to class and work a little.


There you have it. Four random thoughts.
Maybe I'll eventually get around to posting something more worthwhile soon.

Lots of love, my dears.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

she's my wife!!

today at the j: kids, playing in housekeeping... r: go call my girlfriend. w: who's your girlfriend? c? r: no! (kids keep saying names) w: is it k? r: (looking very insulted) no! she's my wife! hahaha :) and... (trying to talk to one of our kids about being still in circle and helping our friends listen) me: e, i know that you can listen and learn at circle when you're moving and rolling and talking. you understand things and you remember what we're learning even when you're all over the place. e: yep. because God gave me a brain.

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,