Skip to main content

trust

i struggle with trust.

i used to think i was a very trusting person. 
and i am. if you're a stranger.
i generally trust you not to hurt me. 
i expect that you are safe to be around.
(for the most part. though i do basically feel safe everywhere and will go places other people think will get me in trouble, and despite the opinions of others, i do have warning bells that tell me when i don't need to be somewhere. i think they just take longer to go off than with other people, or they register potential danger differently).
i'm also more likely to tell someone i don't know more personal stuff. weird.
anyway, i pretty much trust most people.

and on the surface, i trust the people i know, too. 
but more often than not, i'll have trouble trusting you with the big things.
the things that stay inside. 
that you don't really want anyone to know. 
that you sometimes don't even want to acknowledge yourself.
the things that make you feel vulnerable and exposed even thinking about other people knowing.
they may not be bad or embarrassing things but just insecurities or fears or something.
these are the things with which i have trouble trusting people. 

however.
that's not the issue here.
i've discovered that not only do i struggle with trusting people, i also struggle with trusting God.
trusting God?
really?
there have been times in the past when i remember trusting implicitly that things were going to be taken care of, that everything was going to be ok, that God was in control and that God would provide. 
but right now, i'm really struggling to trust.
to trust God to provide. 
to trust God to provide financially (especially when it seems you just can't get above water). 
to trust Him to provide a church.
to provide a ministry to be a part of.
to trust God for the past, for the present, and for the future.
to trust Him to take care of the people hurting in our community.
to provide opportunities to travel
to provide times to see my friends and family who live far away.
to trust Him with friendships (and relationships in general). 
to trust God to show me where He has me headed.
to provide wisdom.
to have faith that He is there with the sick, in the midst of pain, when there's confusion, when the world seems so completely lost
to simply trust Him with the big and the small things. 

but i've also realized that i'm struggling to trust God with who i am.
that in my insecurities and fears about who i am and how God created me, i'm not trusting God.
i'm basically discounting the fact that He had a plan in how He created me.
that He designed me (all of us) specifically, and for a reason.

i don't have any answers.
at least, not beyond an identification of the fact that trusting is not coming easy.
i know that God tells us in His word that He can be trusted. 
that He's in control.
He has a plan, a purpose. 
He loves us. me. you.

but knowing and doing are two different things.
and that's the lesson i'm learning right now. 
to trust.
completely, fully, with no hesitation.
in everything.
because our God is worthy of that, and deserves nothing less.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t