Skip to main content

random thoughts

1. i am soooo over winter. it's like 50 something here today and i'm done. my friend jill said on her blog:
"i don't like winter anymore.  i think Baltimore and the two record-breaking snowstorms last year did me in"....and i completely agree. bring on spring. and summer. sun. heat. outside. and soon!!
2. if you are a girl and haven't read beth moore's so long insecurity.....go read it now! changed my life. seriously, it's one of the best books i've read. and that's saying something.
3. i finally went to the eye doctor, and it's amazing what new contacts and glasses that have been adjusted to fit your head can do for you.
4. have you ever felt like there's something inside you that's trying be seen (and that you think maybe should be seen), but you can't figure out what it is or how to uncover it? yeah. frustrating.
5. i've been enjoying small bowls of whip cream with a smidgin of chocolate syrup on top -- almost like ice cream, but not quite as bad for you!
6. on another serious note, i've been struggling lately through accepting your natural talents, knowing what you're good at (and what you're not), letting those talents shine, and being prideful. because we aren't supposed to be prideful, but using what God has given you isn't prideful, as long as the attitude with which it is done is not. it's like God is showing me certain things i'm good at -- talents and abilities or just my natural personality and such -- but i'm hesitating and consistently saying, 'no, i'm not good at that' or downplaying any role i've had....like i'm trying to hide or scared of it (this is my natural inclination -- i've just noticed it getting much stronger lately). trying to find the balance between all these things. suggestions? similar struggles? help? thoughts?
7. i love the show say yes to the dress.
8. i have disliked american idol for much of its lifeitme. i watched it for the first couple of seasons, but then became uncomfortable with how much the show encouraged us to belittle the auditioners. the first several shows were built around this very activity (in fact, all those bad auditions were purposely sent through a few auditions before they got to the judges -- just so they could be filmed singing poorly or being ridiculous).  it drove me nuts. mostly i didn't watch it because i felt it made me more critical of others -- and less loving towards them. but my parents watch it so i've watched the first few episodes this year. and can i say that the show has a much more positive tone? i've been really impressed with the new judges -- they're honest, but they haven't been mean this year. it seems that it really is a show about helping someone make their dreams come true, rather than a show about making fun of people.
9. and still along the tv lines, i love the movie romeo and juliet. and the show bones. i'm really hoping for a booth and bones relationship by the end of the season!
10. my family is wonderful. i loved spending so much time with them this week, even if it was under really awful circumstances.

Comments

Jill said…
I thought I'd respond because it's always fun to see a comment left when you've taken time to share part of your heart. I, too, am struggling to accept and bloom in who God has made me to be, yet now the process seems to have been interrupted by real life, Or maybe real life is providing the answers. I guess time will tell! And I totally agree about your observations regarding American Idol. I'm addicted and can't wait to see who shines in Hollywood. I'm sorry for the week your family has experienced, but am so glad God gave them to you - family legacy isn't something we talk about much anymore but I think it's so important.

Enjoy the 60 degree weather tomorrow - I plan too! :)

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t