Skip to main content

life at the jcc

so, most of you know that i work with preschoolers. i'm not really sure i ever thought i'd work with kids that young, but i do and i love it.
absolutely love them. they are amazing. and a huge part of my heart belongs to them.
and, since they are only 4, sometimes we have interesting conversations and situations, and i thought i would share one that happened recently, as well as some favorite parts of my days at the jcc.

after the kiddos finish with snack, they play with the puzzles or read books until everyone is finished and we're ready for circle time.
i was standing on the edge of the carpet, watching them play, near two of the little boys.
they look up at me and boy #1 says, "miss brooke, you're pretty." boy #2 chimes in with, "yeah, really pretty." i said thank you and sat down with them to see what they were doing with the puzzle. We had a chat about the numbers and while we were talking about the numbers, the boys were continuing with the "you're pretty" conversation, saying how the jewelry i had on was pretty, too, and how it made me prettier.
and then boy #1 looks at my hands, looks up at me and says, "but if you had a ring on, you'd be so much prettier."

i just laughed.
kids are precious.

and now, a list.
some of my favorite things about my job.
1. walking into the room and being greeted with a chorus of, "miss brookie!"
2. hugs. all day long.
3. learning a lot about judaism and the jewish people.
4. flexibility.
5. wondering where my kiddos get the things they imagine during free play. one week, they're all pirates, the next -- witches, then vampires, and today, it was dragons.
6. children's books.
7. the kids. and even though they're frustrating and make me want to beat my head against a wall sometimes, i still love them. i love their smiles, their curiousity, their imaginations, their laughs, their hugs, their desire to have fun and make people happy.

Comments

Jill said…
Oh my - "out of the mouths of babes". :) This entry made me laugh and smile - thanks!! I heard a quote once that said something like, "It's no small thing that those not that far removed from God love us". And just so you know, you're loved by many, many more!!

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t