Skip to main content

lightning bugs

so, the other day my mom and i were in the car and were, for some reason that escapes me at the moment, talking about lightning bugs (or fireflies, whichever you prefer). i made the statement that it had been years since i'd seen lightning bugs. we used to see them all the time, but not so much anymore. did you ever run around when you were little and try to catch them? oh, i loved watching them and catching them. i know, i hate bugs, but lightning bugs were different. magical. and they scream summer. when i think of summer and remember things from summers when i was a kid, lightning bugs always pop up.
the reason for this post is that tonight on the way to and from a couple meetings at wrc, i saw lightning bugs! not once, not twice, but at least 3 times! it made my heart genuinely happy to know that these summer bugs haven't disappeared. i hope it makes you happy, too. :)

in other news, i think there is something wrong with my car. when i stop at lights, the engine doesn't always stop when the brakes do, causing my car to pretend to be a frog. this is not the first time it has happened. in fact, i once had to take it to the shop on the way to athens because it was so bad i could barely drive in a parking lot. i really don't want to have to do that again....but this could mean not-so-good things are headed my way in the transportation department.

good things are happening in student ministries and genesis. it will be a good year.

so, i know i posted about the olympics last time, but i'm going to do it again. i've been dvr'ing the later events (ok, so those after 10 :)) because i want to see them, but just can't always make it that late. this morning i was watching the women's gymnastics finals and more swimming -- men's 4x200 and others. sad times for team usa in gymnastics. they wanted it so bad, and it was heartbreaking to watch that girl messup on the beam, and then again in the floor routine. you just have to feel so bad for her. on the up side, i'm excited to see shawn johnson in the all around on friday night! and ok, michael phelps gets more amazing every time. i'm sorry, but we were like 5 seconds ahead of everyone in the 4x200m relay because of the lead he was able to get in the beginning. anna and i noticed today that when he swims, it looks like for every single stroke he takes, all the other swimmers are taking at least 2. he makes it look so easy and they just don't when they're swimming against him. but i know they're all doing their best. the relay is definitely a team sport, though, so congratulations to everyone!! y'all are doing an incredible job, and we're all enjoying cheering you on!

my dog is nuts. that's that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren