Skip to main content

and it's here!

summer, that is :)
it took so long to get itself here, and now it has arrived, in its full glory -- heat, humidity, beautiful skies, freedom, trips, sales, friends, fun....
i hope you're enjoying a spectacular start to the summer!
summer is by no means my favorite season (and i truly love all the seasons in some way), but there's just something about summer.
i celebrated the arrival of summer by having a lot of work done on my car....brakes, tires, wipers, oil, etc...and all the work was desperately needed (my car was shaking when i put on the brakes, and one of my wipers had detached itself from the wiper blade almost completely -- but it was on the passenger side, so it didn't impact my vision in the rain and i never felt the need to replace them).
because summer is here, i have been able to walk my dog crackers a lot. i'm enjoying seeing the neighborhood in a way other than in my car headed out somewhere or back home again. it's also been cool to vary the route we take and see other parts i really never see.
i laid out today on my back porch. it was such perfect weather this morning, too. not exceptionally hot, a nice breeze, and some clouds. add my ipod, sunscreen, and some water and it was almost perfection. the only thing better would have been to actually be on the beach. there's something about laying in the sun, relaxing and listening to music/ nature that is good for the soul (mine, anyway). i feel so calm and peaceful during these times. (now, if only, as my friend kate said, we could do something about the fact that too much sun can cause skin cancer.....oh well).
today, i also undertook the task of reorganizing all my scrapbooking/ creative stuff. it's been sitting in my basement all year and whenever i wanted to use it, it was a hassle to get out. so now my bedroom is way too crowded, but hopefully i'll be able to actually use all the stuff i've paid good money for over the last few years :) plus, it'll help me finish some things i've been working on and have never finished....oops....

while i have little idea about what i'll be doing next in my life, i've decided that there are some things i really want to do this summer. so here is my summer goals list:
1) re-learn to play the piano. i took for a couple of years when i was younger, but stopped when i joined band. looking back, this was a decision that makes me not the brightest crayon in the box, but i've decided to change that.
2) finish my scrapbook from my boston trip -- that happened after my sophomore year of college -- 3 years ago, now.
3) learn to make muffins from scratch. i love many of the mixes that i use, and they are quite convenient when one is in a hurry, but i think it'd be cool to know how to make them fresh, with real fruit :)
4) break my addiction to shopping.....ok, maybe it's not really an addiction so much as it is a coping mechanism (feel bad or stressed about something -- go shopping!), but it's a really bad habit.....especially since new things never talk to you when you need someone to talk to....
5) make a first-year of teaching scrapbook. hopefully this one won't take me years to finish :)
6) organize all my undeveloped, stored on my computer, pictures into albums. what's the point of having pictures if you never use them?
7) visit my friends!
8) read!!!

ok, so that seems like a lot now that i've typed it out, but those are things i'd like to do this summer. will i accomplish it all? i hope so!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my paren

confidence in uncertainty

don't we all wish we had that? when we have no idea what is coming or where God is leading or what we are supposed to do, wouldn't it be nice if we felt confidence and peace during the uncertain times in our lives? over the last couple of months, i've really been wrestling with some uncertainties. about everything. who i am. what i'm meant to do. where i'm supposed to be. who God is, and says He is. who God says i am. the path God says for me to follow. asking and struggling. wondering and fighting. crying and laughing. understanding and then being lost in confusion. experiencing peace and then being overwhelmed by worry. but finally, there is a bit of an end. because i've made a decision. one that my soul made a long time before my head, i believe. a decision to follow. to trust. to be uncertain. to leave baltimore . looking at it through my eyes, i can't say that it really makes sense. i have a family here. abounding opportunities t