Skip to main content

fickle feelings

it's amazing how quickly our feelings can change isn't it?
i'm not talking about feelings in relationships or with friends or anything like that (although, for some people, those feelings change rather quickly as well). i'm talking about how we feel throughout the day.
these last couple of days i have been up and down so often that i'm beginning to wonder if there's something wrong with me :)
you know those days where you just don't feel right? friday was one of those days for me. and it was a pretty good day, all things considered. but i just felt wrong. in lots of ways. one of them being that i felt less like a girl than i have in a long time. is that weird? ladies, please tell me i'm not the only one who feels that way sometimes! but friday night i felt pretty good. and today, it's like a new feeling every hour. good. bad. indifferent. happy. sad. ugh. yay! i mean, it's like i'm on a roller coaster.
i'm not saying this to complain. just to be honest :)
and as i was writing this, i began thinking how wonderful it is that we don't have to live based on our feelings. we don't have to rely on our feelings to tell us who we are or to give us value.
i was reminded that God has already done that. no matter what my feelings are at any given moment, God has redeemed my soul and captured my heart. i am a beloved daughter of the King. and He loves me unconditionally, all the time...even when i feel like nothing is right or when i'm really happy.....He loves me. and that's a wonderful way to live.
in the knowledge that i am special to God and loved by the King of all things.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Excellent post, Brooke.
And, believe me, I know exactly what you mean. I have many days like that.
You hit the nail right on the head by saying that God is who gives us value and is our foundation, instead of our feelings.
I think I'd be super doomed, especially as a woman, if I lived only according to my crazy, erratic feelings.
You are wise, my dear. Thanks for the insight.

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,...

Over the Cliff

In the middle of Prince Caspian, there's a moment. Lucy has seen Aslan, but no one else has, and Aslan's told her she has to follow, whether anyone else does or not. Fortunately, they all agree to go with her. As the set off, she's the only one who can see Him, and she's leading everyone else.  "He led them to the right of the dancing trees -- whether they were still dancing nobody knew, for Lucy had her eyes on the Lion and the rest had their eyes on Lucy -- and nearer the edge of the gorge...for a long way Aslan went along the top of the precipices. Then they came to a place where some little trees grew right on the edge. He turned and disappeared among them. Lucy held her breath, for it looked as if he had plunged over the cliff..." Recently, I feel as if I've been following Jesus and He's disappeared, plunged right over the cliff. ********************* Last fall, I began thinking about words for 2017. I love the idea of claimin...

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my p...