Skip to main content

randomness

So, today was art day at school. A whole day (pretty much) filled with art. The theme was Australian.....so everything we did was.....yep, Australian! At first, the idea of losing a day when we have so much to do before the CRCT was really upsetting. We didn't really understand why it was scheduled for before the test, rather than after it. However, after going through today, I am soo glad we had it now. It was such an easy-going day. We made necklaces, listened to Australian music, made boomerangs and got to paint (I'm really quite proud of my koala dot painting!) We had a lot of down time, so we got to do a few things in class...
1) We did one of those "how well can you follow directions" tests. If you've never done one, it's a lot of fun. There are all these directions, like screaming out certain words, random math problems, spinning in circles, counting ceilling tiles, etc. The catch is that you are supposed to read all the instructions first. When you get to the end, the last direction tells you to complete only a couple of the directions and then sit back, relax, and watch everyone elsee act silly. This is an enormous amount of fun to give -- the kids were spinning and counting and soo confused :)
2) We read some more of our book, Among the Enemy. It's part of the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix. If you've never read them, they are exceptional. I never expected to read the entire series to my class this year, but we started the first one at the beginning of the year and have been going ever since. The series is about this society ruled by the Population Police, who track down and get rid of third children. Third children are illegal and must hide or get fake ids (hence the name, Shadow Children). The series follows several third children and their attempts to change their society. Anyway, I love them as an adult and highly recommend them to you! Even if you don't like to read and aren't a fan of kids' books. We read some everyday and it has to be one of my favorite parts of the day. I love reading aloud, but especially when the audience is really into the book. The kids love following the characters and beg me to keep reading when I stop. Reading is a passion of mine and I love being able to share it.
and the last thing we did...
3) Watch the Swiss Family Robinson. I haven't seen this movie in a good ten years or so, but I really enjoyed showing it to the kids. We had a lot of movies to choose from and the kids voted on this one. Most of them anyway. The ones that didn't were not into it at all...until the movie started. I like showing old movies and tv shows to them because, at first, most of them are against it (especially when it's in black and white). Eventually they all come around and enjoy it. Today, girls were screaming the whole time because they were so wrapped up in the movie that the surprise attacks by the animals scared them everytime. The boys were engrossed in it becuase of the pirates and the snakes and lizards. At any rate, it's a lot of fun to introduce them to movies and such that they probably would never think of watching.

Days like this remind me what teaching is supposed to be like. Teaching is supposed to be experiential. Fun. Different. Meaningful. Students should want to learn. What most of us do everyday is the opposite of that. We teach to the test. Struggle to fit everything in. Rush through the material in the hope that some of it will be retained when the test comes around. That's not what teaching is about.
I've also been reminded of why I like kids so much (also, I got to play with a toddler at JGroup two weeks ago, and that helped to). I think for awhile I'd forgotten that I really like kids. I just started going through the motions of teaching. Day in, day out. What I was doing is not fun. I like kids because they are fun and free and enjoy life. I like hanging out with them and mentoring them. Kids are just amazing. Period.

I'm glad I remember :)

Other thoughts....
I love gilmore girls. If you know me any at all, you'll know this. I'm a little obsessed. I couldn't get the tv to work this afternoon and just wanted to watch some tv....so I put in some gilmore. They're good for everything. Smiles for gilmore girls.

Last night we had a Passover Seder at Genesis. We're in the middle of a series about the last week of Jesus before Easter. It was really cool to see all the parts of the Passover dinner and what they stand for. Also, really cool to see how the parts of the dinner point to Jesus as the Messiah. There are so many things like this that we don't always get and I'm glad I've been getting to learn about them through this series. God is amazing. But also, I miss Israel. I was reminded of that last night. You should go there.

I want a dog.


Long...sorry.

Love :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

happy new year! and....a quarter of a century

happy new year, my friends! i hope you celebrated in a fun way and were with people you love :) i was able to see some friends i never get to see new year's eve...and then was back at my parents' house by around 10:15...and was in bed by 11:30.... i did not stay awake to welcome in 2010, but i'm ok with that :) in other news, i'll be a quarter of a century old in a week. 25... i'm not one to freak out about my age (at least not yet) but 25 is a good year, i think. and in honor of my turning 25, i've decided to make lists of 25. because it'll be fun, and who doesn't love a good list? and because i spent yesterday traveling, the first list is a travel list, but is by no means complete or comprehensive....there's no way i could make a full list of everywhere i've been or would like to go.... so, enjoy!! 25 places i've traveled or would like to travel (red = where i've been, blue = where i'd like to go) 1. new orleans,...

Over the Cliff

In the middle of Prince Caspian, there's a moment. Lucy has seen Aslan, but no one else has, and Aslan's told her she has to follow, whether anyone else does or not. Fortunately, they all agree to go with her. As the set off, she's the only one who can see Him, and she's leading everyone else.  "He led them to the right of the dancing trees -- whether they were still dancing nobody knew, for Lucy had her eyes on the Lion and the rest had their eyes on Lucy -- and nearer the edge of the gorge...for a long way Aslan went along the top of the precipices. Then they came to a place where some little trees grew right on the edge. He turned and disappeared among them. Lucy held her breath, for it looked as if he had plunged over the cliff..." Recently, I feel as if I've been following Jesus and He's disappeared, plunged right over the cliff. ********************* Last fall, I began thinking about words for 2017. I love the idea of claimin...

A Break to Listen

If you aren’t aware, there’s a bit of the unknown in my life right now.   Because of this place I’m in – out of necessity, really – I’ve been asking myself (and God) a lot of questions about purposes, dreams, places, and who I am. That last one seems to be cropping up a lot lately. And it is that question which has brought me here today. Last week I was talking with a friend about my recent trip to Chicago. Just to be clear, here’s how that trip happened: I’m in a Facebook group with a bunch of women from all over the country. One of them – who I had never met – posted about this conference (the Justice Conference) her organization was taking a group of women to, and there were some open spots. I emailed her, said yes, and booked a plane to Chicago…where I was picked up by another girl driving in from Michigan and then spent the weekend learning and loving and adventuring with 9 other women from different states whom I had also never met before. When I was leaving and my p...